Good Shepherd Lutheran Church was organized on December 7, 1952. Rev. Robert G. Petersen, a mission developer, was assigned to the Somerville area for the purpose of organizing a Lutheran congregation.
The first worship service was held at the YMCA, 96 W Main St. Three months later on Dec 7, 1952, 98 people signed a new member charter to form the first Lutheran Church in Somerville.
In 1953, land on Union Ave was purchased. Ground was broken on Feb 24, 1957 for the construction of the present day church. A portion of the property was allowed for a children’s playground and the Borough of Somerville provided the equipment.
An educational wing with eight classrooms was added in 1962 and then dedicated in 1963. The present sanctuary, narthex, office space and classroom were added in 1971.
The first Annual Outdoor Living Nativity was presented in 1986. A Memorial Garden was added in 1987, which has provided a place for members to be buried and offers a contemplative spot to pause and pray. In 1988, GSLC became part of the newly organized Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. In 2001, a handicapped-accessible restroom and seven new classrooms were added, the narthex was enlarged, and a ramp was added, making the entire facility handicapped accessible.
Pastor Peterson was succeeded by Pastors Robert Harter in 1958, Jack Denys in 1971, and Chris Stiger in 2008. In 2014, Rev. Chelsea Scholl accepted the call to GSLC to serve as our Associate Pastor. After Pastor Stiger’s retirement, Pastor Chelsea was called to stay and serve as Good Shepherd's pastor.
God has blessed us with many faithful leaders and members!
Read more about our history here: